The Lisznyai Christmas House is located in NE Columbia, SC in the Spring Valley subdivision. For our family, Christmas lights are a tradition that goes back 3 generations. My grandparents began the tradition over 75 years ago. As I was growing up, we would decorate our house every year on my dad’s birthday. I remember Dad putting up the light strings and I would screw in each individual bulb (no LEDs there). We lined the driveway with blow molds and inflatables filled the front yard. When my husband and I bought our first house, it was a given that I would continue the tradition. Our display has grown every year, combining both the new and vintage into a unique display.
Several years ago, our daughter, Katelyn, asked if we could raise money for Make-A-Wish SC. There are two ways to donate: in person (there is a donation box out front) & online. All money raised goes to Make-A-Wish SC to help make wishes come true. Thank you for your support!
From our family to yours, may your Christmas be Merry & Bright!
- How long does it take to put up? It takes over 200 man-hours.
- Where do we store everything? We store everything under the house and in the attic. Most things are designed to come apart for storage.
- How many lights are in your display? We have no idea – let’s just say it’s a LOT.
- How much does your electricity bill go up? Not as much as you might think.
- Why do you do it? We want to give back to our community and give people joy. However, we get as much as we give. We smile when we hear children’s laughter as they explore the yard, or when we see a child run to give Mickey Mouse a hug. We’ve seen children learn to count by counting the blow molds. We are amazed by kids who know what is new or if something has moved. We chuckle at the kids who tell us they earned their visit by eating their vegetables. We love the letters we receive from children saying how much they like our house, and we are simply touched when we receive a letter or keepsake from a neighbor saying how much joy our house gives their family.