Benefiting Make-A-Wish® San Diego
Trailblaze Challenge is more than a hike. It is more than a fundraiser. Trailblaze Challenge is a life-changing endurance experience that mimics the journey San Diego wish kids go through, and ultimately helps Make-A-Wish San Diego grant wishes to the 300 children with critical illnesses in our community.
THE CHALLENGE - 28 miles on the Pacific Crest Trail. This scenic trek provides participants an opportunity for adventure, fun and fitness while making a direct impact on the lives of children in our community battling critical illnesses. This is a hike, not a race, and caters to all fitness levels, from novice to advanced outdoor enthusiasts.
THE PROGRAM - For 14 weeks, you will train with and work alongside Make-A-Wish staff and experienced hike leaders to prepare you for your journey in both training and fundraising. You'll receive a personal training schedule, have the opportunity to participate in bi-weekly training hikes and receive instruction on footwear and hiking gear from seasoned professionals. Make-A-Wish will make sure that you have every tool available to make you successful on and off the trail!
THE MANTRA - "It's not a race. It's a journey." In this program, there are no winners or losers. Our goal is to bring people together to build community around families who are faced with the harsh realities of critical illnesses. When you take your first step on your journey as a Trailblazer, you are paving the way for a brighter tomorrow for children right here in your community.
What is included in my hike experience?
- Specialized training program including a workout calendar and weekly group hikes
- Training Clinics topics include hiking boots, socks & other trail essentials, hydration, nutrition & cross training (when available)
- Support and coaching from experienced Trailblaze Hike Leaders and Make-A-Wish staff
- Hotel Accommodations on Hike Weekend at The Lodge at Big Bear Lake—A Holiday Inn Resort (3-days/2-nights)
- Trailblaze Challenge duo-dry shirt for hike weekend
- Transportation to and from the trail on Hike Day
- Friday night Pasta Party to carb load before the big day
- Trail support at multiple locations throughout your journey, including hydration, snacks, first aid and encouragement
- Saturday evening post-hike Celebration to share trail stories
- Sunday post-hike Victory Recognition Breakfast before heading home
12-year-old Rocco wished for a skatepark in his backyard.
Fernanda wished to go to Paris with her best friend, her mom.